Sunday, January 15, 2012

How to get softer leg hair.

Oh man. Just the title alone is going to send readers running for the hills, I can tell.

Well, it's been over a month since I posted Happy Hairy Hippie Hoyden and everything has grown out nicely. The hardest part of growing your body hair out? Not giving a damn what people think. My underarms have a tiny little crop of fluff that I look at in the mirror and go "...so, what was the big deal about all this in the first place?" It's not summer, so you don't get the details of my bikini line, sorry devoted readers.

But...the legs. At first, two weeks into my experiment I was doing good. Soft skin, prickly post-shave hair, life was going well. But, my hair wasn't getting any softer. At all. Many people will rhapsodize about how wonderful growing your leg hair out can be, but I don't think these people shaved daily since they were 12 years old. I am talking about some coarse freaking hair. Now, many beauty websites will explain that shaving your hair does not make it grow back faster or thicker. (Or many balding men would be shaving religiously once a month or so.) What it does do is cuts the hair follicle off bluntly. So, the hair appears darker growing back because you see more of the hair. It also causes the hair to feel coarser because instead you have a blunt tip instead of a soft point (like you'd have on the hair on your head, which is trimmed at an angle with a sharp blade).


Of course, having hairy legs in this house is not easy. My dad nicknamed me the "incredible spider girl." My brother-in-law made some comments about my boyfriend being a strong-stomached fellow. My sister pinched a fingerful, yanked it out, and crowed that I had "hairy man legs!" So, I folded. It was christmastime, and although this wonderful blog post maintains that "Nobody shaves their legs at Christmas" I went bare. But before I did, I tried to look for some information on how to make leg hair grow in smoother.

The results were not heartening. Responses ranged from, "Please be a dude asking this." to "That's disgusting. Just shave it." I was surprised at the knee-jerk reactions folks had to something as simple as body hair. The basic answer I got was, if you want softer leg hair, remove it with something other than a razor. Lasers are never going to happen, I didn't have the time or cash to wax, and after a few unfortunate teenage experiments Nair is nowhere near my bathroom. So, what to do? I could make my own homemade sugaring recipe, or find another way to nix the fluff.

So I bought a $1 pack of "Lassy Legs" from the dollar store. Abrasion hair removal is something that's not talked about a lot - buffing mitts are used occasionally, but most American women haven't done that path since the 1940's. Apparently, as part of war conservation efforts, young women would tape pieces of 600 grit sandpaper to the back of paddle hairbrushes and use them to buff off the hair.

Well, after using the lassy legs, my legs were smooth all right. Smooth, dry, and ITCHY. So, I got a pumice stone. And that, my friends, gave me the secret to bunny-fur soft leg hair. Pumice in itself is touted as a hair removal method, but I don't have fine leg hair so it really doesn't remove all that much.

So, if you want soft leg hair and you don't want to wax, listen up! I have the solution. It's not expensive, it doesn't hurt, and it's actually pretty relaxing. You can do it while watching TV.

You Will Need:
- A pumice stone. I got a nice curved blue one at the dollar store, but really, whatever pumice makes you happy.
- A seriously thick, greasy lotion or a body oil. I've done this with skin so soft, body butters, and a natural lotion that my sister gave me in an unlabeled container that smells mostly like beeswax and lanolin. Any way you want to go with this one.
Optional: An episode of Gray's Anatomy, Sherlock, Glee, Storage Wars...whatever makes you happy. Buffing away to "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is oddly morale boosting.

You need the lotion to be thick, greasy, and not quick drying because it's going to act as a buffer between the pumice and the skin on your legs. Value your skin? BE GENTLE. You will scrape skin off if you don't take some care with this. Slather the lotion all over your legs (you can add some to your pumice stone if you want) and rub the stone in small circles. I do 15 circles clockwise, 15 circles counterclockwise. Move on to a new area. Continue until you've buffed your entire legs. Knees can be tricky. Be gentle with them unless the skinned knee 8 year old look is for you.

I tend to do this before bed, but you can do this whenever you have time. Your skin will be soft and silky smooth, and the hair on your legs grows in slower, softer, and lighter. So there's my secret!

Get softer leg hair without waxing, for about a buck.

Definitely worth the time.

51 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having or not having hairy legs (and armpits) for women can be seen as a decision driven by culture. For some, there are no issues with this matter, and we respect that. But just in case it affects someone’s daily routine due to discomfort or judgment from other people, one can consider having leg hair removed. Home remedies can work for a while, but for someone who wants a longer solution, laser removal is the way to go. The procedure is painless, but it may cause some itchiness afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, it is a very painful way to remove leg hair. Ouch...But still, I get smoother skin!!!

      Delete
  3. Dose this remove the hair or dose ot just make it softer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both, it removes the hair in a way that doesn't make it grow back hoarse

      Delete
  4. it will remove some of the hair but mostly make it softer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have very thick dark coarse hair and even waxing doesnt help I have used sugaring go to get my legs waxed every 2 weeks tried every wax on the market I believe.nair forget it it doesnt work. I am going to try this tomorrow. if I cant get it gone atleast the hair wont give me a dang rash for being so coarse. I know how it feels to have ppl be grossed out by it but what are you suppose to do? I know how it feels not to have the money to do laser. thanks for the tip for a 1.00 I will give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm from Europe so, I don't have access to dolar stores and walmarts or something like that. I think I know where to get the stone but what would the GREASY and thick lotion? Mainly the greasy part tough. Anyway I need to soften my leg hair because every time I shave it just grows back thicker. I don't really care if I have it or not, but after a few months it gets gross. But shaving it makes it even worse later. I just mainly want to have it soft and not the thick dark ones, to not have to shave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably recommend an oil instead, as mentioned above. Something natural of course; like Raw Coconut Oil.

      Delete
    2. Maybe try Petroleum Jelly...I haven't done this yet, but that might work. Any lotion that is really thick should work.

      Delete
    3. You probaby have to wait until all your hair get replaced by new ones with the original tapered end they lost by shaving.

      Delete
    4. Can I used any kind of any kind of lotion ? like whitening lotion? It's only thing i have

      Delete
  7. Mam, any kind of beauty store or store that sells lotion should have some sort of buttery cream. I'm sure even coco butter would work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much!!! I had some freaking coarse hair and some horribly dry skin, and thanks to this method, it is all so much better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the brave post! I am going to give this a try as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post, Cassie! You really know how to take care of your body. @Jami: we have the same thoughts. Sometimes, this shaving thing has something to do with the cultures. But then again, it depends on the person on how he/she would take care of it.

    Dennis Rode

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this & it makes ur skin really soft :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. does it make your hair fall off?

      Delete
  12. Can I clarify - you do this every day?
    [I refuse to shave on feminist principles - the question for every woman to ask is 'are the boys doing it?'. With leg shaving, the answer's no.
    And perhaps I shouldn't mind my legs resembling a blonde yeti, but I'm a little self-conscious as we approach summer. So making the hair smoother and finer (a one off or monthly approach) would be my preference.]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm curious about the same...how often you do this to see some sort of results? I stopped shaving a few mnths back but it is nearly summer season and I admit I feel embarrassed to head to the pool with my legs looking this way yet I do not want to keep shaving them. Would this work for underarm and bikini line too? Would just be nice to have the hair finer and softer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i tried this on my feet, not for hair. And I feel like I have baby feet now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankyou so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks alot :) but how would I know what type of pumice stone works better? there are different shapes and colors so I am confused.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely want to try this! does the hair have to be a certain length?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actually, in place of a "buttery lotion" you can just use hair conditioner. You can use it as shaving gel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried this and no hair was removed. The pumice stone cut my legs (even when I was gentle) and I have cuts all over. The good thing is that my legs don't feel dry anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried this and it actually removed my hair!! cut it off from where it grew out of the skin I should say. now I'll have to wait longer for the hair to be waxable length. arrgh. and I got scratched too

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol! No wonder... Months ago, I rubbed pumice stone over a patch that remained because I couldn't help scratching it back then. I've been wondering was that area always been hairless... Tried it out on the lower part of my legs hoping it'll work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you very much, it worked for me also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do u always do this?? do u need to do it everyday?

      Delete
    2. Until your thick follicle remove do it daily and after that once a month is enough.

      Delete
  23. Thank you oh so much ! I'm actually embarrassed to lay down with anybody cuz as soon as they touch my legs or get into any slight interaction they get grossed out with my thick leg hair.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can barely walk around the house in shorts without someone stating how prickly my legs are (even after only two days of not shaving) so going to try this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. How many time do i have to do this for it to start working?

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is wonderful post. You're not alone in your love of your body as it is. I obviously wouldn't have found this post if I weren't in the same boat as you. Appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had actually done the pumice stone method once in the shower but for my arms a while back. I have a high tolerance for pain so when I was doing it I thought I was being gentle and I wasn't feeling any pain or anything and it was removing my hairs. I was so stoked not having to wax or to use nasty ass Nair. Once I dried off I had this weird burning sensation on my arms and I started to form scabs around my arms after a while. At the time I was living with roommates and when they asked me what happened to my arms I lied and said I burned myself in the shower, I think lying was worth it lol. Posting anonymously because my roommates will have a field day if they found this post hahah

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much!!! I had some freaking coarse brazilian hair and some horribly dry skin, and thanks to this method, it is all so much better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. After years in marriage with my hubby and our 2 kids, my husband started going out with other ladies and showed me

    cold love, on several occasions he threatens to divorce me if I dare question him about his affair with other

    ladies, I was totally devastated and confused until a old friend of mine told me about a spell caster on the

    internet Dr. eho who help people with the relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first

    I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contact him, he helped me cast a spell

    and within 48hours my husband came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with ladies

    and he his with me for good and for real. Contact this great spell caster for your relationship or marriage

    problem at ehorspellhome@yahoo.com he will help you out in any situation

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    transgender hair removal

    ReplyDelete
  31. Useful information like this one must be kept and maintained so I will put this one on my twitter list! Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this!

    Shavers for Women

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello. Can I use skinwhite papaya as the lotion? Reply pls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just came to your post and reading above thing it is very impressive me and it is very nice blog. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

    Shavers for Women

    ReplyDelete
  34. Normally a medical aesthetics laser hair removal courses and training institute teaches its student to deal with dermatological products such as Laser , Botox , and pulsed light for operating difficult operations like Laser Hair removal , IPL, Vein Reduction, Teeth Whitening Reduction, Tattoo Removal, Acne Reduction, Wrinkle Reduction, Acne Reduction, Skin Tightening, Advanced Micro derma and massage.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this but will this lighten my hair pores because of shaving since a long I have developed dark hair pores. More like chicken legs. It makes me uncomfortable cos I'm fair-skinned. Any solution on this? And can I use Shea butter and coconut oil with the pumice

    ReplyDelete
  36. i have this same problem , i have thick dark body hair and i grow hair in places i dont think a girl should , i am not coincidedbut i am confident and i know i am a very attractive girl but thos issue has made me so self-conscious that i manage to shave my whole body every day, i am only 17 and iknow soon i might have to move in with a husband or maybe want to be a model but i have this problem and shaving so much has cause my body parts to darken , this is really helpful for me but id like to know some other things like can i use Vaseline or petroleum jelly as a lotion ? will i have to shave before doing this ? will this eventually stop hair growth ? thanks a lot for this btw <3

    ReplyDelete
  37. one of the best laser hair removal centers for laser hair removal in gurgaon. For those in search of the best and effective hair transplant in Delhi, this is the right place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  38. hohoho good things to know about the hair smooth on feet, will try for sure :-)

    hair loss prevention

    ReplyDelete